Thursday, April 3, 2014

...


Today I went to Markville Mall after work with a friend for the Sephora VIB event. Before shopping, I went to get dinner at the food court and decided to go for New York Fries. 


I saw a mid-age white man at the cash, I placed my order, he looked a little bit lost; he must be new. There was a brown guy at the fries bar, getting orders done fairly quickly and also went to the back to make a fresh batch of fries. I can tell already that B was already frustrated at W, probably because W was too slow and make B do twice the work. The person in front of me asked W nicely if he could have a little bit more cheese on his poutine, W was okay with it maybe because he thought it was only a little bit -or- he didn't know there is an extra charge. B rushed out to the front, with a very strong attitude and said "I said already no, there is a cost." W looked almost ashamed and walked back to the cash registered. I feel terrible, almost didn't want to get my fries anymore.

After shopping, I went home and told HB this story. I still feel terrible. It was 8:25 pm, I picked up my phone, googled Markville New York Fries telephone number and hit call. There were only two people on shift and I remembered his tone of voice. 

"Are you new to the job?" 
"... yes." 
"I just wanted to call you and tell you that you are doing a fine job, everyone was once new, he was too, he was feeling just as lost as you are; but you are doing fine. Have a nice day! Bye!" 

I think he didn't know what to say.. Anyway, I did my part and I felt a lot better. I hope he will have a nice day and go home feeling proud. Do not bully your newbie at work, everyone deserves many chances, you had yours too.

Thanks so much for reading & have a lovely Thursday.

xoxo